Friday, June 24, 2011

the home stretch

Hey all,

So time is winding down here in Japan and it is really sad! I just want to reiterate, if you are considering doing a study abroad program, go for a year!  However, I have had such a great time so far...and I still have a month, so its not quite time for reflecting.

Well, over the course of a week, the weather has gone from mediocre and rainy, to unbearably hot and humid.  Everyone in Japan knew it was coming, and we were all dreading it.  It probably 80 degrees at night, pretty ridiculous.  Living in Hawaii has really not even prepared me for this LOL

Speaking of Hawaii, yesterday, a student organization hosted a "Hawaiian Culture Party" or something like that.  For the past few weeks they have really been on us UH kids to come and represent. One of the UH students, Kele, even performed a hula dance.  I gotta say, it was great! Very elegant, very smooth.  Well done Kele.

Also, I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but the school year is ending about 2 weeks early here at Sophia in order to save electricity.  A lot of people are happy about this, but I'm not too thrilled.  Don't get me wrong, its gonna be great not having to wake up at 7am every morning, but I am gonna miss a lot of the daily interactions with the students here at Sophia.  But, it is what it is, and I knew some sacrifices were going to have to be made when I decided to come to Japan during such a hectic time.

And I don't want to forget to mention the Tokyo perspective on the ongoing Fukushima Power Plant issues.  Basically, the Fukushima is an afterthought to many of us, at least the students here.  However, it is clear that the situation up there is not getting much better.  In fact, there is a lot of criticism aimed at the Japanese government for downplaying and even covering up the reality of what is actually going on up there.  Its definitely some scary stuff, but as far as I can tell it is not dramatically affecting people's live here in Tokyo.

Anyways, more to come later!

No comments:

Post a Comment