Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Update from Japan

Hey all,

As you all know, Northeast Japan is in the midst of recovering from the catastrophic earthquake and ensuing tsunami that struck a little over a month ago. There are major efforts occurring right now to help out the region as quickly and effectively as possible.  I am excited to announce that I am getting the opportunity to do my part.

On April 30, I will be joining a group of Japanese students from my dorm to go up to volunteer in Sendai.  Our trip will last 4 or 5 days, and we are all eager to get up there and do what we can to help all those affected.  This trip will coincide with "Golden Week" a late Spring Break in Japan, so it is a great opportunity to spend a relatively extended period of time in Sendai without falling behind in school.

I am definitely a bit nervous, but this is an opportunity I know I cannot miss out on.  Even though the sad state of affairs in Northeast Japan are not being covered in much of the US mainstream media anymore, there is still so much help needed.  I encourage you, if possible, to help out as well, in any way that you can!

I will probably do another post before I leave with more details on what we are going to do. 

Talk to you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment